How The Camping Weekend Went

IMG_0980All in all, we had a great time.  The site we wanted was taken already, in spite of the fact that my brother went up Thursday to secure it (because it’s bush camping it’s a first-come, first-serve kind of thing), but we got the site we had the last time we were here, and that’s great; it’s one of my favorite sites because it has a lot of space and it’s kind of pretty to look out on the river.  You have to travel down a small embankment to get water, but that’s okay.

?????????????????????The first day was busy, setting up the tents and getting the air mattresses into them; it doesn’t matter how big a tent is, all the entrances are remarkably similar in size and so it’s kind of like trying to squeeze a giant, air-filled square peg into a smaller nylon round hole. We got it all done, though.

My air mattress was a double thickness, not like the one my brother-in-law is trying to fit into the tent into the picture here, so that was a delightful experience.  They left their tent at home so I shared mine with them.  By the way, the ten-man instant tent I bought was great!  Read about the results here. However, we got it all done and just like that Friday was over.  We stuffed the boys into their tents (four pre-teens into one large one, one teen (into the smaller one), and then the rest of us sat up until about two in the morning, just talking and enjoying the sensation of sitting in front of a campfire with nothing left to do but go to bed.

IMG_0976 - Copy
That is hail, folks–about the size of peas.

Saturday was wonderful; it was like summer in our area–except for about an hour in the afternoon.  It went from this           





To this:

It rained so heavily we were soaked to the skin in less than a minute
It rained so heavily we were soaked to the skin in less than a minute

The hail turned to rain and we had a downpour like you wouldn’t believe.  It ran the whole gamut–we had thunder and lightning, wind, cold, and thunder again. We honestly wondered if we should pack up and go home, the weather was so violent. Then







…in less than an hour, we had sunshine again and summer was back:

Back to summertime!
Back to summertime!







It was the craziest thing. The boys wasted no time in setting up a tarp, something they had been putting off because the weather was just so nice.








The rest of the weekend was pretty good–now and then it would rain for a bit, then clear up and be nice.  It didn’t rain too often to interfere.  We had plenty of wood, everything was tarped up, and even with the rain we played a game of Harpo’s croquet that was so much fun it lasted three hours (there was a half hour pause on account of the rain and dinner).

We had to pack up the stuff wet when we went home but that too was on our side; the weather at home was scorching, so we spread out all the tents and tarps and they dried in no time, then packed them away for the next camping trip.

I am already missing the time up there.  I wonder if I can wrangle some time off for the August long weekend…




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *